ELVAS GOLF

 

Elvas Golf

 


Portugal Golf
Information in ...
 

 • ALENTEJO
 • ALGARVE
 • LISBON
 • COSTA PRATA
 • PORTO
 • TRANSMONTANA
 • MADEIRA
 • AZORES

Our Advertisers












 


 

Welcome to Elvas Golf

With many delightful courses, pure coastal breeze from the Atlantic ocean, great fresh gastronomy and fantastic weather conditions, Portugal is a Golf Bliss for most golfers.

 


  Portugal Golf - Elvas
 

 

Elvas History

The city of Elvas is located near the border between Portugal and Spain, just a few kilometres from Badajoz and is on the main highway between Lisbon and Madrid. The town is believed to have been originally developed as a location by the Romans and it has suffered many conflicts in its history. It was liberated from the occupying Moors in 1229 and since that date in a period of some 600 years, it suffered numerous attacks and was the subject of peace treaties between the neighbouring Spain. During the War of Independence between the two countries (1640-1668), the battle of Linhas de Elvas in 1659 was notable for the decisive defeat of the invading Spanish who had besieged the Portuguese army in the town and was then successfully relieved by Portuguese troops from Estremoz. In its more recent history its claim to fame was when it was used by the Duke of Wellington as his headquarters in his siege of the neighbouring Spanish town of Badajoz.

Elvas Description

There are two main impressive visual sights linked to the city of Elvas. Firstly, the well-preserved 17th Century fortifications of Fort de Santa Luzia to the north of the old town, and secondly, the impressive Aqueduct de Amoreira. The first was designed on the principles of the French architect Marquis de Vauban. The old town was completely surrounded by a series of strong walls that strategically provide protection from most angles of possible attack. The Aqueduct is older in origin as the need to supplement the original town’s water supply was already acute even in the 15th Century. Work was started in 1498 and for various reasons it took over 124 years to complete this 8 kilometres long construction with 843 arches that in some places reaches 30 metres in height.

The same architect also designed the Cathedral Nossa Senhora da Assunção that has been since remodelled several times. The origin of the castle within the old town is remote but it recorded as being rebuilt in 1226 and later subject to further alterations and enlargement during the following centuries. The plain exterior of the Church of Nossa Senhora dos Aflitos hides the fact that it was originally a Templar church. The interior is lined with 17th Century tiles that reach into the cupola. Close by is a Manueline Pillory with its hooks as a morbid reminder of punishment in older times. Located within the bastion of São João da Carujeiro on the eastern wall of the castle is perhaps the oldest British military cemetery in Europe. Plaques record the death of soldiers from British Regiments that occurred during the Battle of Albuhera in 1811.

The surrounding area is famed for its production of quality plums which are then conserved in a honey mixture.

Elvas Nearby Locations

To the northeast of Elvas is the country town of Campo Maior whose name is by legend based on three families that made their home in the “bigger field (campo maior)”. It past history is rather tragic as in 1732 the stored gunpowder in the castle was struck by lightning and it virtually destroyed most of the standing buildings and with it some 1,500 people. The morbid Chapel Capelo dos Ossos that is entirely faced with human bones dates from 1766 as a permanent reminder of this dreadful event. The town later came to prominence during the French invasion when Lord Beresford led an Anglo-Portuguese attack on the occupying French troops. They were quickly defeated and the King of Portugal granted the title of “Marquis de Campo Maior” to Beresford. In contrast to their sad history, the inhabitants of the town in September of each year celebrate with a very joyful “Festa” by covering the narrow streets with a roof made up of thousands of paper flowers under which they hold daily parades and dancing. Each street organizes its own decoration under great secrecy, as the event is considered very competitive with prizes to be won. During the “Festa” many thousands of visitors travel from far and wide to visit the event, particularly from neighbouring Spain.

Further to the north and nearer to the Spanish border is the small fortified town of Ouguela. History records a romantic defence of this town when in the Battle of Toro the decision of who was to be the owner of the castle was decided by a fight between the two opposing leaders in a fateful duel in which both died from wounds. Later in 1762 Brás de Carvalho also defeated the Spanish with a heroic defence of the town. To the north of Elvas are the towns of Arronches and Monteforte, both rich in history and worth visiting. To the south of Elvas on the River Guadiana is the small village of Juromenha that was once a reasonably large fortified garrison. Within the standing walls there is nothing left but ruins to testify to the one-time importance of this fortification. There is a legend that the name of the place has been taken from the sister of the local Lord who felt so disgraced by his sister’s amorous involvements he locked her in the main tower of the castle until she went mad and eventually died.

Elvas Golf
Ammaia (Marvão)

Elvas Map (Click Here)

Elvas Weather


Elvas Events
Town Holiday - 14th January
Festas de Campo Maior - September (next in 2008)
Festa do Senhor da Boa Fé - 1st till 4th September
Feira de S. Mateus - 20th till 25th September
Market Day Every - second week of the month

Elvas Information
800 296 296 - Support to Tourists
112 - SOS
268 639 740 - Town Hall
268 622 123 - Fire Brigade
268 639 470 - Police
268 637 627 - Hospital
268 622 236 - Tourist Office

Elvas Locations of Interest
Aqueduct of Amoreira
British Military Cemetery
Castle and Walls
Church - Igreja do Convento Dominicano
Church - Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Assunção
Colégio dos Jesuítas
Forte de Santa Luzia
Rua das Beatas
Archaeological Site - Povoada de Segovia (Elvas)
Castle - (Campo Maior)
Castle - (Juromenha)
Castle of Ouguela - (Campo Maior)
Church - Igreja da Misericórdia - (Arronches)
Convento de Nossa Senhora da Luz - (Arronches)
Convento de Santo António - (Campo Maior)
Roman Site - Torre de Palma (Monforte)
Town - (Alandroal)
Village - (Juromenha)
Village - (Ougela)

Elvas Aqueduct

Elvas Palace

Elvas Castle

Elvas Street

Elvas Buildings

Elvas Buildings

Elvas Walls

Elvas Castle

Other Alentejo Towns
Alcácer do Sal · Beja · Castro Verde · Castelo de Vide · Elvas · Estremoz · Évora · Monsaraz · Odemira · Portalegre · Santarém · Santiago do Cacém · Sines · Vila Nova Milfontes

 


| Main Page | Golf | Holidays | Accommodation | Real Estate | Car Hire | Useful Info | Contacts |
 

 

 

Portugal Golfe
Portugal Golf Network


| www.portugal-golf.org | www.golf-portugal.net | www.portugalgolfe.com | www.portugalgolfe.eu | www.portugalgolfe.co.uk | www.portugal-golfe.com | www.golfe-portugal.com |